Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Breaking the Cycle

My motto for 2015 is “Break the Cycle”

Now that I am in the middle – or what I hope is the middle- of my life I can look back on everything I know and learn.  I am at the point in my life that I know what works and what doesn't.  I know the things I want around me and the things I should let go of … and some things I probably should have let go of long ago.   



I started breaking the biggest cycle in my family history years ago when I fell in love with my husband. He is nothing like any man the women in my family have married. I saw past the surface and it was plain to me he was one in a million. A man that values honesty, loyalty and commitment. And that applies to everything he does. I was not wrong. If my daughter models the man in her life by her daddy she will be just fine in this world.

I am also beginning to break the bigger cycle in my life. Unhealthy food and beverage choices… it has lead to extra pounds and feeling sluggish and lazy 75% of the time. Although I could easily turn into my mother and sit on the sofa with a glass of wine and a book, I can’t allow myself to do that… at least not yet. So, after my rant about my headaches and sinuses yesterday I thought ok… lets see what we can naturally do about this. So I am starting with herbal teas. I went to www.mountainroseherbs.com and ordered myself an assortment of different teas for different times of day or week, to work on everything that is wrong with me. I also ordered a “to go” tea infuser, disposable tea bags and a bag squeezer. I like tea. So if I replace pepsi with tea that is a good thing right??? I am sure there would be days I could and would scratch someone’s face off for a cold pepsi but I am hoping to limit that to only once or twice a week.
Baby steps… 
I have a full time job and two kids, my husband has a full time and a half job. Meals are a problem. Who has the time to do a nourishing meal when you don’t even walk in the door till 6PM? I would do the slow cooker thing but I also live in a 100 year old house that would go up in a flash should something electrically go sideways. My son is on a cereal kick. Cereal or PB&J both with a side of block cheese (sliced in rectangles) and crackers.  My daughter won’t eat cereal. What to do with her??? I have no clue. That will be my next step… something good, easy, tasty and hot for dinner at least 3 times a week. That is going to be a hard cycle to break.

And finally let me say that it is the little things that I can change that will add up to the big changes we see in ourselves later. Someone asked me today how I lost 17 pounds. My reply was “ well, I had pneumonia and bronchitis, changed birth control to something that makes me nauseated 50% of the time, and I have still not managed to shake the super bug that has nested in my sinuses therefore creating an overload of sinus drainage only adding to my birth control nausea” …. “want some”?

I wish I had a fabulous answer for her… I am working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!