Thursday, June 5, 2014

10 Questions (and my answers) to help me De-clutter

I found these helpful/stupid questions online to help me clarify what is worth saving or tossing in my house...

Is this something I use regularly?
            Define regularly…. I need to be more specific… once a week? Once a month? Once a year? I can’t make a decision on such a vague question. I use my luggage once a year… but I am not getting rid of it because I only use it once a year.. so I need a better definition of “regularly”
      If this is not something I use regularly, is it something I love?
      If I bought it … chances are I love it.
     Am I holding on to this because I think I should love it?
           Who wrote these questions… seriously
      Am I saving this just in case?
       I have a lot of things I am saving just in case… luggage – just in case I can find some time to go somewhere, shoes – I have a pair of shoes(actually 3 pr of the same shoe, in the same color) that l love… but haven’t worn in about 10 years. I may need them one day with the right outfit. I have a lot of clothes that I may need one day when I drop about 30 pounds… when that happens I will certainly be ready.
      Do I have multiples of the same thing?
      Hell yes…I am a woman - I have too many pair of black shoes…who doesn't? I have several Dooney & Bourke handbags and I need every one of them AND their matching wallets. I have several bottles of my favorite OPI nail polish and that is because they discontinue the damn color and I can’t find it anymore.
                               
      Could something else I own do the same job?
      NO. Why would anyone think that one Dooney & Bourke bag would be a universal bag that could be carried with anything and all the time. NO – must have several, in several colors – with matching wallets. Non Negotiable.
      Am I holding on to a broken item to fix one day?
      Now I don’t have a problem with this, broken items do not interest me. i just as soon buy another one that looks just like it … toss it.
      Am I keeping this out of obligation or expectation?
     NO problems here either… unless it is a gift from my husband or children if I don’t need it … toss it
      Is this item worth the time I spend cleaning or storing it?
      Cleaning and storing?? The only thing I can think of that would fit in this category is books and DVDs. I do admit to having too many of both.
      Could I use this space for something else?
      I think I would only put something else in its place… maybe a new Dooney & Bourke bag J

After going through these 10 Useless questions I can honestly say that I am no closer to de-cluttering my space than I was before reading them. These did not help me classify anything. So I am either a high end hoarder or I was never cluttered to begin with.

Sounds good to me… moving on now… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!